Sunday, 26 January 2014

Chinese New Year: Feelings, Thoughts, Experience

Bi Yu Qi (2)

Colour:
The colour I chose is rainbow colour as I have many mixed feelings when Chinese New Year is coming such as happy and excited. Like rainbow, there are different colours and they are bright, hence I chose rainbow colour.



Symbol:
The symbol I chose is paper cut for window decoration, when I was young, my mum tought me how to do paper cutting with red paper so that we can paste them on the windows for decoration, it can make the house more colourful and look welcoming to guests.




Image:
The picture I chose is a plate of dumplings as during Chinese New Year, people working at somewhere far will go back to the homeland and gather with the family members to celebrate this event. Also, they will put a few coins in some dumplings, the one who have the most number of coins will be the one that's going to be the luckiest in the new year.






Tee Hui Shi (17)


Colour:
I have chosen red colour as red had been the colour symbolising Chinese New Year since long ago. In Chinese New Year, we will always see places and corners adorned with Chinese New Year decoration everywhere. Most of the time, it will be red. The red colour give people great feelings for the Chinese New Year and was told to bring good luck and happiness to people. 
 
 
 
 
Symbol:
Secondly, I have chosen the calligraphy with the word 财源滚滚 because it means bringing a lot of wealth and we can often see people hanging words of similar meaning on the wall as decoration. Our school also have student sitting beside the canteen and writing calligraphy for other students who would like to bring home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
One image:
Thirdly, I have chosen red packets because in Chinese New Year, apart from the Chinese New Year food, what we have seen most are red packets. When we visit the house of relatives and friends during Chinese New Year, we will receive red packets. For a child, like me, who does not need to give red packets to other people, receiving red packets means bringing wealth. This would make me very happy.
 




Tee Sze Min (18)

Colour:
I chose gold as gold is a warm colour that creates warm and excitement, already showing how I feel towards the upcoming Chinese New Year. Also, it is common to find houses, streets and shopping malls embellished with decorations in gold, along with red. Usually, the auspicious words written on red paper are in gold. Furthermore, gold symbolizes wealth and also happiness, which is what people want to have in life.




Symbol:
This symbol is "吉" and it means lucky, auspicious and propitious. It is usually used in Chinese New Year greeting for example, "大吉大利" which means a prosperous New Year. It is also commonly found in auspicious words used as decorations that can be pasted on walls or doors to show and makes me feel the joyous festive season. 



Image:
The image I chose is Chinese New Year goodies and they one of the reasons why I love Chinese New Year and my excitement towards it. It is hard to find Chinese New Year goodies available to be bought in other months of the year as people only sell them before and during the Chinese New Year period. Thus it's a chance to eat these delicious and flavoursome goodies during Chinese New Year and I like to eat them a lot. It is also interesting how different goodies symbolises and represents different auspiciousness.







Chai Yi Meng (21)

Colour:
Red color is always related to Chinese New Year and almost every Chinese New Year things we see are red. 
 
 
 
Symbol:
The symbol is money with angbao. We will always get angbao from married couples when we visit them. This will make us very happy as we will be able to save up those money to buy things that we like.
 
 
 
Image:
The image is many of those Chinese New Year food. We will be able to eat the delicious food that are rarely eaten until Chinese New Year. We will feel very happy as those food can be enjoyed with our family members,relatives or friend. 



 
Law Ming Han (26)

Colour:


Red symbolizes good fortune and joy. Red is found everywhere during Chinese New Year. I chose red to represent my excitement and happiness about the upcoming Chinese New Year.





Symbol:

This symbol is an inverted Chinese word, “福”. This word means good fortune or happiness or luck. An inverted “福” means 福到. In other words, it means that good fortune will come to you. It makes me feel the joyous atmosphere of the Chinese New Year. 







Image:

This year is the Year of the Horse. I can see decorations in the shape of horses everywhere. It's going to be a horsey New Year!
















No comments:

Post a Comment