Wednesday, 28 May 2014

OELP Trip: Day 5

Yuqi (2) 
The fifth day is definitely the best day. Why? Because we went to all the places that I like! 

In the morning, we went to Wulai secondary school. We learnt their language there which is super fun! (Hehe me and szemin being hardworking, even copied notes). We also made an art piece for our buddies during art lesson. Well I must say that their lessons are much more interesting than ours, except for PE! 

This is what happened. We followed the teachers instruction and did some warm up, mostly what we did in Singapore. Afterwards, he told us to run ONE round around the track to finish the warm up session. I was really shocked... The reason is their one round around the track is the same distance as one fifth of our school track's distance! ( At that moment I was thinking to myself: Wow they have such a good life, running 80m as warm up when we have to run 2.4km). However, to our surprise, their basketball skills are... (Too embarrassed to say hehe) 

We had to line up to do the sequence one be one. (urge I don't even know what is that called) In then end not a lot of 2H peeps did as it was raining heavily when everyone in Wulai finished their job. (finding a mouse hole) Anyways, I think that they chose basketball as they are good in it, so I think it would be more interesting to play captains ball since our class were especially strong in it.

Wulai old street has nothing much to see and that left us with Raohe night market! Erm, the best food in the night market? Waffles! The thing we did the most in the night market? Choosing shoes! I'm sure 12/16 girls went to the shop and I'm sure at least 6/12 girls bought the shoes there. Even Mrs Tan bought haha. Afterwards we went back to the hotel with a good news that we don't have to do the reflection late at night any more.

By today, more than 5 people are sick, omg... Get well soon and have a good sleep!


Sze Min (18)
Today was pretty much a fun-filled day! (mainly because we went to Raohe night market)

We started the day off by having immersion programme at a local school in Wulai. The students put up a performance to welcome us I was touched by their hospitality. We had an Atayal language lesson (students were mostly of Atayal tribe) whereby we were taught numbers, the names of animals and basic greetings. It was so interesting I even copied noted during the lesson! During art lesson, we made art pieces to exchange with out buddies. I was so engrossed in my work as I wanted to make a beautiful one for my buddy. Then, it was lunch and we had beef noodles. Initially, I was doubting the taste of it as I thought it would be very yummy. However, I realised that it was very delicious when I tasted it! During PE lesson, we had a friendly match of basketball. Unfortunately, a while after we had started, it began to rain and the activity was put to a stop. I was amazes by the basketball skills of the students in Wulai.




Next, we went to Atayal Museum where I learnt about their cultures and ways of life. The people of the Atayal tribe led tough lives as they had to hunt and their houses were made of wood. It made me realise how blessed and fortunate I am to be able to live under such good conditions. I have a roof over my head yet I still complain when I do not have things I yearned for. I learnt to appreciate the things I have. 

Lastly, we went to Raohe Night Market! It was aligned with numerous stores selling a variety of items and offering authentic Taiwanese food. I had a wonderful time eating scrumptious, mouth-watering and affordable food. Also, I tasted the best waffle in my life. I ate 3 waffles in total! Furthermore, almost all the girls went to a shoe shop at the same time and many of us bought shoes from there!






This pretty much sums up the long day we had.




Yi Meng (21)
It was the fifth day of the OELP trip. We went to Wulai Elementary School which consist of mostly Atayal people, which is an aboriginal tribe. We were taught a few of Atayal language and had a really fun time learning a new language that we rarely hear about. We then played a game about the words we have learnt and communicated well with our buddies as we had to work together to be better at the game. After that we have to decorate an animal to give to our buddies and i got a moth. We had PE lessons after our lunch which we play basketball. I felt ashamed at the fact that even students that are about half my age could throw the basketball into the hoop most of the time and rarely missed. We had a competition where we have to dribble and shoot with the basketball and we lost to the students of Wulai Elementary School badly. It started raining heavily halfway through the competition and many of us have to seeks shelter but the students of Wulai Elementary School continued playing in the rain. We were surprised by the students who were not even afraid of the rain as they have gotten used to it. This made me realise how blessed i am! After that we went to Atayal Museum where we learnt about their cultures and way of lives. They were tribal people who had hard time hunting and it was a very tough life for them, having houses that are built with woods and living in the forest and many more. It also made me realise that I am very blessed. I have learnt that we should not take things that we have for granted as there are people who are having a tough life that are hard to survive. We have a steady shelter that we can live in comfortably and will not be able to experience the hardship of the tribal people. Thus, I have learnt to appreciate the things i have without having complaints as it is considered very blessed already.
After that, we went to Raohe Night Market to shop and bought many good foods to eat.


Ming Han (26)  
We visited a local School in Wulai for immersion programme. This time it was a aboriginal school which was much more different. The students there were mostly from Atayal tribe. We were split up into groups of 4 and sat around a table where our 2 buddies sat between us. The students and teachers there were very friendly; they had a performance for us to welcome us.



After this, we had a Atayal language lesson and we were taught numbers and some basic greetings. Also, they organised a unique and interesting game for us. We were taught the names of the animal they hunted and they hid cards in the school, we were supposed to find as many cards as we could. It was a different experience as it has more interacting rather than just in-class lessons. The second lesson was Art and we were instructed to decorate a card and give it to our buddy or we could keep it. Lunch was next and it was beef noodle. Delicious indeed! PE lesson soon begun after we finished our lunch. I was unable to participate as I accidentally injured my back when I fell down on the stairs the day before. It was a friendly competition between Rv and Wulai. A while after the game started, it soon began to rain but we did not stopped as Wulai students did not stopped either. But the rain got heavier so the game had to stop. We said our goodbyes and left the school after we exchanged our gifts.  



We then went to the Atayal Museum to learn more about the cultures of this tribe and their ways of life. Their houses were very old-fashioned and were made of wood; they do not have much facilities in the house either. This reminded me of how lucky I was to be living in such good conditions compared to them. The tour guide in the museum also showed us how they hunt animals, what they normally do and their cultures like tattoos and what does it symbolize.


We then went to Raohe Night Market. The night market offers so much to choose from that I don’t even know where to start from. The food was simply scrumptious too! After that we went back to the hotel to rest after a long day.








Fifth entry:

Fifth day of the OELP! Wonder if anyone notice my diary? Okay, straight into the point! Today programme was really fun except for the trip to the
海南会馆. First, we had a 故事擂台. Somebody (3 people) came to our school to perform something like a skit. Their first skit topic was 三字经. However, instead of reciting 三字经, their twisted the story! The story was about a 妖精 who don't allow people to say three words 巧克力. So the people call her 三字精。For the second skit, they gave us the chance to create a topic for them and some 小条件 that must appear in the skit. In the end, the topic we've chosen is 搬起来放下去 and the 小条件 was Harry Potter must appear in the skit and one of the character must shout 我是要成为海贼王的男人 (this was suggested by Huan Yu). They were give five minutes to think about their story plot and the skit starts. The skit was about a guy named 小黑 who was always very gloomy. When he is gloomy, his will have 斑 (same pronunciation as 搬)on his body. So he went  to find some Taoist on the mountain and the Taoist told him to 在斑起来的时候要放下去. But he couldn't understand so he went home. On the way back, he met Harry Potter and Harry Potter said the same thing to him. So he finally understood and can pursued his dream and he shouted "我是要成为海贼王的男人! ". Following that, they had a third skit which two year 1 participated in it (got Yu Qi u all de dance junior call Shu Ning o). The topic was 神经病 and the 小条件 was to have a dragon who speaks and say "我要代表月亮消灭你! " The skit was about the two people named 啊金 and 啊神 who excell in Kung fu. In order to 代表月亮消灭 their enemy, the merge their 武功 as one which was no doubt 神经并(并 pronunciation was the same as 病). In conclusion, this programme tells us to be more creative and think out of the box. After that, we have a 有奖问答题. It is a activity to help us to learn more about the Chinese something (culture/literature?) . Yah, so I learnt a lot from that activity! And then after recess, we went to 海南会馆 with 1H! We sat there for hours listening to boring speech about what is the 海南会馆 and blah blah blah! After the speech, we were treated with 海南鸡饭 and kuih which originated from 海南 (actually not we because I cannot eat so is they(^o^))Hmmm.... so the day ended moth my hungry tummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment